Tuesday 3 August 2010

planning

Only eleven training days left before I go into 'tapering mode' for the three weeks before the 24 hr race in Perth.  Of those eleven days, the last seven (ie all next week - Sunday to Saturday) will be crash training.  Regular readers will know that I've used a seven day crash training period twice in the past with very good results, the first time was just before the Tooting Bec 24 hr race in 2008 and the second time was in the lead up to last year's Commonwealth Championships.

This is what I've got planned ... very hard work:  160+ miles of running, seven cycle rides of about 50 mins each, strength and conditioning exercises every day, stretching every day ... and lots of sleep !!!  The running includes two speed sessions, a 9 mile tempo run and a 5k race on the last morning.  Something to look forward to then.

I'll try find the time every day to briefly post with details of what I've done and how I'm feeling, etc.

In the meantime I've got a 25 mile run tomorrow and a 25 mile fartlek on Thursday morning leaving home at about 7.30am.  Probably run along the canal between Apperley Bridge and Kirkstall (or vice versa) for the second one.  See you there perhaps ...

Also, at the moment I'm putting together a hydration and nutrition plan for the race.  Hydration is partly based on the temperature of course and it appears that in Perth (Scotland) in early September the temperature ranges from about 20.6 C (69.1 F) to about 11.7 C (53.1 F) on average.

In my last few 24 hr races I've been experimenting with caffeine, usually not having any in the three weeks before a race.  However, I'm not convinced that caffeine during the race has been beneficial so I may well try my normal caffeine intake right up to the race itself.  If anyone out there knows of any articles relating to caffeine and ultra distance races please let me know - I'm always interested in ultra running research.  Leave a comment or email me using the address on this page.

No comments: