Monday 9 May 2011

the good samaritan

This morning my foot felt sufficiently well for me to try a long run.  34.5 miles.  I decided it would be wise not to stray too far from home though just in case I needed to return quickly.

No problem, quickly decided upon a route and set off with different food stuffs to try at 3 hours and 4 hours.  At about 22 miles the worst happened - I tripped and fell on a short cobbled section of the towpath by the side of the Leeds Liverpool Canal.  The result was a badly bruised right knee and right arm ... and a nasty cut to my right hand from which blood was leaking badly.

I immediately knew first aid was needed, but where from.  If I had been going further afield I would have taken a small supply of first aid essentials but today the plan was to be never more than 9 or 10 miles from home.  I got up, dusted myself down and spent a minute or so deciding whether I could run or not.  I could but not without leaving a trail of blood behind me.  And I still had 12 miles or more to run.

Then I had an idea.  I ran into Ellis Briggs bicycle shop in Shipley and politely asked if they could 'patch me up so that I could continue my run'.  To my amazement the staff did exactly that and after about five minutes I was sent on my way.

After that my hand was still quite painful but overall my running style and pace was good, including up Hollins Hill at about 30 miles.

The different food seemed to cause no problems at all either.  A protein bar from PowerBar at 3 hours and two pieces of Turkish Delight (without chocolate) at 4 hours.  The Turkish Delight was a nice surprise - I wasn't sure about how easy it would be to digest or whether it would just end up like goo in my mouth.  Very good - that's worth adding to my list of suitable foods.  Especially as I know the exact nutritional composition of the stuff ... unlike Fry's Turkish Delight (which is also very nice).

1 comment:

Richard S said...

Love the Turkish delight as a food choice. I must give that one a go.

Glad to see you got home ok, always a big concern for me miles from home.