However, since Anth asks, my thoughts - in brief - are:
- in last September's Commonwealth Championships the Australian men finished first, second and seventh. UK men were third, fourth and fifth
- in general the Australian men seem to be running far greater distances than the UK men and do much better in championship events
- things are slightly different for the Australian women who seem to be of a similar standard to British women
- therefore it seems strange to me that the Australian athletics authorities have a lower qualifying standard than UK Athletics
- and to pay your own travel and kit expenses for representing your country seems insane to me ...
For me, last week was an easy training week.
Day 1 - 50 mins cycling and stretching
Day 2 - 5 miles at 10k pace, strength training and stretching
Day 3 - rest
Day 4 - 23 miles, 50 mins cycling and stretching
Day 5 - strength training and stretching
Day 6 - hill reps (x 16), 50 mins cycling and stretching
Day 7 - 7 miles fartlek, strength training and stretching
During that week I was drinking a wonderful coffee from the Sanani region of Yemen. Chocolately, spicy, winelike, almost dark roast ... fantastic.