Saturday 30 January 2010

an enjoyable evening yesterday, a rant today

Enjoyed a lovely evening yesterday at Korks in Otley with a chance to catch up with those Otley AC members I don't see often enough - Janice, Eric, Malcolm, Huw, Phil Robinson, Bridget and loads of others.

It was good to see the trophies awarded to those runners not normally associated with athletic prowess ... and the introduction of awards for new club records is a good idea I think.

One thing though ... why do some people refer to me as a 'heavy metal fan' ?  I know my music collection has some stuff that most people would categorise as 'heavy metal':

Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Marilyn Manson, Metallica, Motorhead, Saxon, Twisted Sister, Van Halen, Velvet Revolver

But there is also lots of stuff that no-one would claim to be 'heavy metal':

Barclay James Harvest, The Beatles, Blackmore's Night, Blondie, The Blues Brothers, The Doors, Ian Dury, Eagles, ELP, Gnarles Barkley, Jethro Tull, Journey, Kaiser Chiefs, Manic Street Preachers, Marillion, Bob Marley, Maroon 5, Robert Palmer, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rolling Stones, Rush, Scissor Sisters, Seasick Steve, Patti Smith, Squeeze, Stray Cats, The Zutons, ZZ Top

And then there's the third group, that in which some people might define as 'heavy metal':

AC/DC, The Answer, Chris Cornell, Deep Purple, Def Leppard, Evanescence, Extreme, Foo Fighters, Ian Gillan, Heart, Linkin Park, Meat Loaf, My Chemical Romance, Nazareth, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Rainbow, Soul Asylum, Stereophonics, The Sweet, UFO, Uriah Heep, Whitesnake

Over on the left hand side, and down a bit, you'll find a list of what music I'm listening too most commonly at the moment and of the ten albums listed I would say that five belong in the second group and five in the third group. The strange one (and one of my favourites) is the Whitesnake album Starkers In Tokyo ... some people would say that Whitesnake are a heavy metal band and yet this live album is simply one singer and one acoustic guitar (no drums and no loud electric guitars).  It is therefore impossible to say that this is a 'heavy metal album'.  It is very good though.

OK ... rant over.

PS ... when it was decided last November that Otley AC should enter a team in the Pennine Bridleway Relay I immediately sent an email to the team captain offering my services.   I haven't heard anything since but the event is tomorrow and I know we have a team entered.  I presume we had more than enough people to fill a team ...

No comments: