Tuesday 12 February 2013

progression ... at last

Went back to the physio today and the good news is that the ankle is still improving and my running (!), cycling, etc has not made things worse.

Which means that I have permission to progress as follows:

when I can manage 60 minutes of alternating running and walking every other day ...
I can run continuously, increasing from 10 minutes to 60 minutes, every other day, then ...
I alternate running and walking, 2 days out of 3, increasing from 10 minutes to 60 minutes, then ...
running continuously, 2 days out of 3, increasing from 10 minutes to 60 minutes, then ...
alternating running and walking, 3 days out of 4, increasing from 10 minutes to 60 minutes, then ...
running continuously, 3 days out of 4, increasing from 10 minutes to 60 minutes, then ...

alternating running and walking, 4 days out of 5, increasing from 10 minutes to 60 minutes, then ...
running continuously, 4 days out of 5, increasing from 10 minutes to 60 minutes, then ...

I can begin 'normal' training.

In the meantime I have to continue the rehab exercises for a few more months, at least.  But I can start again with the leg strength exercises ... squats, lunges, etc.  Obviously with light weights at first and not many reps.

Things are looking up now.  But there's still a long way to go.

Many thanks to James Sneath for all his help with understanding the injury and especially for teaching me how to manage it and which things will help and which will make it worse.

No comments: