Monday 17 August 2009

early morning run

This morning I left home at about 7.25am - and went for a long run, probably about 27 miles.

The route was, from my house in Otley, over the Chevin via West Chevin Road and then into Guiseley from where I took the main road through Rawdon and Horsforth to Kirkstall.  In Kirkstall I joined the Leeds Liverpool Canal and ran to Shipley before taking the main road through Baildon and up Hollins Hill then through Menston back to Otley.

The early morning peacefulness (when not on the main road) was amazing.  Hardly a soul about, I practically had the road/towpath to myself over the Chevin and along the canal - which accounted for about half the distance.

There was a bit of a headwind along the canal, and the occasional shower too, but nothing major.  Other highlights included a bloke taking his pet ferret for a walk and a group of cyclists who obviously had no intention of showing any respect for other towpath users.

I didn't move, one of them almost went in the water, hopefully they changed their minds.

At about 22 miles I arrived at the bottom of Hollins Hill which is a long drag of at least a mile climbing about 90m or so.  No problem ... up and over then down into Otley.

A very enjoyable run, not quick but as I skipped breakfast I burnt a lot of fat - a very good thing in ultra running.  Back home I had a large coffee as usual - Whittard's Breakfast Coffee today.

Four mile club handicap tomorrow evening. I plan to incorporate this into tomorrow's long run.  I'll run about 13.5 miles to the start at The New Inn, Eccup then run the four mile handicap then run almost nine miles back home.

No comments: