Sunday 14 April 2013

injury update

Another week gone ... not too bad.  Not perfect but OK.

Everything was fine at the start of the week but in the middle my ankle began to rebel a bit.  Not much but enough for me to postpone thoughts of another race for a while.  As it happened yesterday's run was entirely pain free but I thought it better to be safe than sorry.

Today was much better and confidence has been restored again.

I think the slight relapse was caused by the shoes I have been wearing for strength training.  Wore a different pair today and it was like having new ankles ... absolutely no pain whatsoever.

Running earlier in the morning than usual is also a risk factor for ankle injuries because the achilles tendon remains relatively stiff for a while after waking up.  Taking care to warm up properly has been helping with that, and I find it more fun running at that time of day.  I've also been doing quite a bit more general flexibility work recently.

Still doing rehab exercises five times a day - eccentric achilles stretches, calf stretches and straight leg hamstring stretches.

Overall, progress is still being made and, as I've said before, I'm not interested in a quick fix.  I want a permanent solution.

No comments: