Saturday 8 December 2012

ready to go ...

Right, now that that's out of the way and the pain and discomfort has subsided (and the sprained ankle is better too) I now feel able to run ... tomorrow.

Two weeks of ibuprofen seems to have done the trick although for the next year or more I'll be having regular tests to assess the level of uric acid in my system.  This is normally excreted by the kidneys but for gout sufferers it isn't.

So the long term aim is to reduce uric acid levels by dietary changes which, in my case, will mean consuming less of the following:  turkey, mackeral, sardines, herrings, marmite and beer.

That really comes down to no poultry, oily fish, yeast extract or beer.  Which means I'll also have to be careful about where I get my B vitamins.  I'm sure I'll soon learn to manage all this but if not there are drugs available to help.

But tomorrow morning I'll be out running and I feel confident that it will be a pain free experience.  That's the first time I've been able to say that since early September.  I'll only be out for ten minutes or so but it's a good start and if all goes well (which I expect it will) I'll be able to begin training properly by mid to late January.  And racing next summer.

Over the past few months I have been doing an increasing amount of cycling and strength work.  The cycling appears to have paid off in terms of my aerobic fitness. During August my average waking heart rate was 44, by mid November that had risen to 53 but over the last couple of weeks it is noticeably falling again.

One last thing ... I'm going to post all my training on this blog and you'll be able to find out what I do by clicking on the 'training' tab at the top of the page.  It won't be in great detail though [I wouldn't want to give away all my secrets  :)  ].

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Chris, On my own recovery journey. Plantar fasciitus Ok but now pain behind the other knee. Still, went out for 2 hrs today - longest since July! and all good.
Matt P