Wednesday 5 September 2012

last post

Well, that's it for now.  A short while ago I completed my last training session before leaving for Poland tomorrow.  It was 7 x 200m in 42.7s each with a 200m jog recovery.  Except that my time was about 40s each.

This morning was my last session of strength work - core mainly but also a bit of work on the legs.  Right now I feel better prepared than for any of my previous 24 hr races.  I'm also very aware that in long ultra races fitness is not necessarily a good indicator of performance ... there are so many other factors to consider such as nutrition, hydration, weather, crew, blisters, electrolytes, etc.  I believe I've got them all covered but if I've missed anything I'm sure some other member of team GB will be able to help out.

Between the strength work early this morning and the running this afternoon I spent the time making sure everything had been packed ... especially kit and food.  And then I did some more baking.  Fay and Keir's favourite desserts for the weekend.  Elderflower cheesecake and rose flavoured ice cream.  Shame it'll be all gone by the time I return.

This will be my last post before the race but you will be able to follow the action at www.run24.eu and at www.iau-ultramarthon.org

Thanks to everyone for wishing me well.  I'll write again next week.

1 comment:

John Kynaston said...

All the best Chris

Have a great race and enjoy it as much as you can!