Tuesday 31 July 2012

the week so far

After last weeks good training I was brought down to earth with a bump yesterday afternoon.  As usual on a Monday afternoon I had a long run planned - fartlek.  In this case it was just over 26 miles (42 km) [coincidence] and after a 30 minute warm up the plan was to alternate 7.5 minutes at 10k pace with 4 minutes recovery.

The route was quite hilly and the wind a little strong but I ran well to the end, finishing in under 3 hours 20.  But then the problem started.  It just seemed to take ages to recover and no amount of rest, milk, ice baths or bananas could make me feel like completing the scheduled 28.8 mile (46.4 km) run this morning.

So I went for a slow run this afternoon - 10 miles (16 km) in about 1h 20.

Complete rest tomorrow.

Good Olympic news for my home town though.  At one point Otley (population about 15000) was number twelve in the medal table.  Lizzie Armitstead rode magnificently in a very exciting cycle race on Sunday afternoon to finish with a silver medal.

Watching it on TV was most inspiring and I dare say I ran a bit too hard yesterday.  Surprising to come across Ian Fisher shopping in Shipley though.  I had run about 20 miles (32 km) at that point and was looking forward to a long haul up Hollings Hill about 2 miles (3 km) further along.  Stopped to chat about Lizzie's achievement for a couple of minutes ...

No comments: