Saturday 2 June 2012

this week

It's been quite a busy few days since my last post ...

Tuesday 29 May - Keir's 18th birthday.  He had already told us that he didn't want to spend too long celebrating as he wanted to not be distracted from his exams (which have already started).  We still managed to ensure he had a memorable day though.

Wednesday 30 May - long run.  Over thirty miles in the morning and strength work in the evening.  My last long run before the ULTRArace 100.

Thursday 31 May - 5.5 mile race (8.9 km) race in Yeadon which forms part of the Harrogate League series.  I ran 38:11 on the muddy (and slippery) trails and finished in 45th position (out of 262).  Quite surprised by this for two reasons:  (1) only one day after a very long run and only 6 seconds behind my best on that course, (2) I, along with about half a dozen other runners, lost about 30 seconds after taking a wrong turn in Esholt just before the long climb through the woods.

My club, Otley AC, seems to be doing very well indeed so 'well done everyone'.

Friday 1 June - 7.6 mile tempo run (12.2 km) in the afternoon.  The target was 6:51 per mile (4:15 per km) and I thought I might struggle with that less than 24 hrs after quite a hard race.  However, without pushing too hard, I managed 6:43 per mile (4:10 per km).  The idea was to run quite fast but also to 'run to feel' - always being in control of any residual niggles from the race or long run.  Pleased with that.  More strength and core work in the evening.

Day off today but thing about those running the Grand Union Canal Race, especially Debs, Jerry, Pat R, Mike B and Richard Q.

Back to training tomorrow but I'm now in tapering mode for three weeks.  I just hope the recent summer weather holds out and we don't have 12 hours of rain on 22/23 June.

No comments: