Wednesday 23 March 2011

school

Apologies in advance because this post has nothing whatsoever to do with running.

Yesterday Keir left home early (5.45am) to meet his fellow sixth form students, and a couple of teachers, in Leeds as they made their way to London for an educational visit as part of their A level Politics course.  Visiting the Houses of Parliament, Downing Street, et al was the order for today but yesterday was spent meeting MPs and other dignitaries.

But for me it was hilarious in the morning.  At about 10.30am I received a text from his school:

"Dear Mr Carver, Keir Carver was absent at morning registration.  Please text a reply to explain."


Now, we all knew why he wasn't at school ... he was on an official school visit.  So to mark him (and the other students) down as being absent is just plain wrong.

I sent the following text as a reply:

"I don't need to explain.  I know where he is ... and so do you."

About ten minutes later I received an email:

"Dear Mr Carver, Keir Carver was absent at morning registration.  Please call ... or text ... to explain"


I sent another reply, by email:

"If you don't know the whereabouts of Keir then I fear there is something seriously amiss with the school's record keeping and ability or willingness to share important information amongst relevant members of staff."


What's going on with that school, surely they know when some students are away on official business.  And, like I said earlier, to put it down as absent is just wrong.

The same thing happened when he went to Russia as part of his A level History course last December.  I received a text at about 9:45am on the morning the party left Otley.  The wording was identical to the one above and I replied:

"Yes we know he is not at school today.  He has been unavoidably delayed on a flight to Moscow with Mr ... [teacher].  I trust that payment of his Education Maintenance Allowance will be unaffected by this."


So, don't send me a silly text or email or you're likely to get a silly reply.

1 comment:

Debs M-C said...

Ha ha I can just imagine what they have been calling you.