Wednesday 3 November 2010

Commonwealth Championships

Today I received confirmation that there will be another Commonwealth Championships for ultra running and mountain running.  It will be the second staging - the first was at Keswick, England in September 2009.

That was where I received my first international vest (read my report here).  The atmosphere was exceptional and that was the week I learned just why the Commonwealth Games are often dubbed 'The Friendly Games'.

The second Commonwealth Championships will be held in north Wales between 23 and 25 September 2011.  The three races confirmed are:

- 24 hour race
- fell race (up and down ... not 'up only')
- ultra distance trail race (50 to 60 km)

There will be men's and women's competitions in all those disciplines making a total of six sets of medals up for grabs.  I'm not sure why there isn't a 100k race ... I guess it will be too close to the 100k World and European Championships which will be in Winschoten (Netherlands) next year on 10 September.

Needless to say, I expect to be there and running for England for the third time.  Last time I finished fifth with 231k ... can I do better in Wales ?  Well it won't be through lack of trying that's for sure.

Anyway, now that the date has been finalised my training can begin in earnest.  But first there's the small matter of next year's World Championships in Brugg, and before that a shorter race or two in this country.

More details about those later.

No comments: