Monday 14 April 2008

Two 5k races coming up

One small thing I missed off the last post which I enjoyed from reading the aforementioned race reports: apparently 'ultra' is an acronym for U Live To Run Again ... very good.

Over the weekend I decided to enter two local 5k races in May (speedwork of course). It's been a long time since I've raced such a short distance ... they are on Wednesday May 7 and Wednesday May 14 and this means that my training on the first three days of those weeks will look something like:

Mon 5 May: 18 miles at 8:15 - 8:45 per mile
Tue 6 May: 18 miles at 7:15 per mile
Wed 7 May: 9 miles including 5k race

Mon 12 May: 19 to 20 miles at 8:15 - 8:45 per mile
Tue 13 May: 19 to 20 miles at 7:15 per mile
Wed 14 May: 9.5 to 10 miles including 5k race

At the moment I appear to have slightly strained a muscle in my stomach area which is limiting the amount of sit ups I can do ... a bit of a pain but I can still do all my other training as normal.

Starting to think seriously about exactly what food and kit I need for the Hull 24 hr race. Of course I'm using previous races as a guide but trying, as always, to improve things by using the knowledge gained from making detailed notes at the time as regards what works and what doesn't.

Also, for this race I'm going to try abstaining from caffeine for three weeks before the race. Hopefully this will help when I have some immediately before and during the event itself.

One more thing ... what's all this cold weather about? I shouldn't be running in tracksters and gloves in mid April. It has been sunny today though (except when I was running ... we had hail showers at that time !!!). Hopefully, if the warmer weather starts later than usual it'll finish later than usual too.

No comments: